Monday, June 13, 2011

A New Journey

The spring semester ended about a month ago. My big project during that month was learning javascript and jQuery, and I feel at this point that it has been accomplished. I'm not a master by any means, but at this point I feel that I could do almost anything given time and access to Google as a reference book. Which means it's time for the next step, PHP.

PHP is a general-purpose scripting language originally designed for web development to produce dynamic web pages. For this purpose, PHP code is embedded into the HTML source document and interpreted by a web server with a PHP processor module, which generates the web page document. - Wikipedia

PHP is a much more versatile language than Javascript, because it's a real programming language, not just a markup language. It can read, and more importantly write, files on the server side, and it can work with databases. This means that it is what I'll need for the virtual career fair software I'm trying to design.

I've found a great tutorial, though it's from 2004, so we'll hope it's not too out of date. On the other hand, since I'm just trying to start out with the basics for now, it doesn't really matter. Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment