Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Dieting Update

Back in February, I posted that I am trying to lose weight and get healthier in general. I set the official starting point at 215 (because different weighing machines at different locations had given me a range from 212-217), and have gone from there. You may remember that my initial goal was 200 lbs, and my long term goal is 170.

It's been 3 months, and I can now report ... mixed results. In terms of weight loss, I've lost 11 lbs and am now at 204. That part part I'm pretty happy with, it's moving. In terms of fitness, I'm not doing so well. I've been working a 50 hour week and then spending most of my weekends traveling, over the past 4 months. Free time to go exercise is limited. I've tried to keep at least one hand in the game, but I'll admit that I haven't really done much recently. This summer my free time is going to increase, so I'll be putting a larger portion of it towards exercise.

That also should help with the weight loss hump I've been told about. The first ten or fifteen come off easy, but after that it slows down? Maybe so, but I've lost the first ten from basically just diet. When I start exercising seriously, that should help as well.

Calories aren't the only thing I've been counting though. I'm also watching saturated fat and sodium. 20g and 2g, respectively, are my daily guidelines. Like calories, I average them over a week and it's the weekly limit that I keep under. In fact, staying under saturated fat has made the calorie limitations much easier. There are so few processed foods that have lots of calories but not much saturated fat. Pasta is one, so it's a good thing that I love pasta. As to sodium, I just started it last week, and went over my limits. This week I'm trying harder to stay under, so we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment