Friday, August 12, 2011

Yamato - 3 Episodes In

So I've gotten through the first 3 episodes, and my initial response is: wtf

Some shows are great. Some are okay. Some are bad, but they are guilty little pleasures, still having some redeeming qualities. This show, I really don't know if I'm going to get through. It's so, so, so bad. The English dubbing is the worst I've ever heard, and I've watched quite a bit of dubbed anime. The plot line is at the best of moments very silly, at worst, mind numbingly moronic.

In a show like Gundam Wing, the mechs are obviously beyond our technological abilities. But realism is given a nod here and there; the creators at least tried to appear realistic. In Space Battleship Yamato, science and engineering don't even make appearances. Not to mention all of the people are completely incompetent. The only thing that saves them is their magic WWII battleship. I say magic because it never takes damage and can kill anything, even though all of Earth's modern spaceships can't do crap.

I'm going to try and power through it, because I don't like to start something without finishing it (and I have nothing else to watch), but I'm not sure how much hope I still maintain about finishing it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment